Greene County, Pennsylvania

Follow us on facebook

HOME || News || Events || Riding Areas || Trails || Trail Conditions || Racing & Schedules
Safety || Hunting || Education || ATVs || Facts || Politics || Safety || Rules || Other Links
About Us || Mission || Club Photos || Membership || Join || By-Laws || Newsletters || Meeting Minutes || Club Merchandise

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV's)
Information on ATV use in Pennsylvania

All-Terrain Vehicles are defined as:

  • Class 1 ATV ~~ A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a maximum width of 50 inches and a maximum dry weight of 800 pounds.
  • Class 2 ATV ~~ A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a width which exceeds 50 inches or a dry weight which exceeds 800 pounds

No child under the age of 10 is allowed to operate an ATV on public lands.

Who must register and title? ~~ All ATVs in Pennsylvania, except ATVs used solely for business or agricultural purposes, need to be registered and titled with DCNR. ATVs used in Pennsylvania must be registered and titled with DCNR's Snowmobile/ATV Section. The ATV registration and titling fees are NOT user fees for the privilege of using trails on state-owned land. The fees provide funding to administer the program, maintain trails on DCNR-managed parks and forests, and provide grants to profit and non-profit organizations for developing additional riding opportunities.

"Kids riding ATVs"

" Mugbogging"

  1. Registration:
    • For ATVs used anywhere off of your own property or property leased by you, such as designated State Forest trails.
    • $20 fee every two years

  2. Limited registration:
    • For ATVs used solely on your own land or land leased by you.
    • Free registration
    • No expiration, unless ownership of vehicle changes

ATVs are not permitted on State Game Lands except those used by disabled hunters.

Pennsylvania Registration is NOT Required for:
  • ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations;
  • ATVs owned by nonresidents covered by a valid registration in their state, province or country that honors Pennsylvania registration;
  • ATVs owned and used by a federal, state or local government body;
  • ATVs owned by a dealer who has been issued a dealer registration certificate and used only in connection with the dealer's business.


"Riding ATVs in the Snow"

"Rocky Riding"

Titling is NOT required for:
  • ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations;
  • Snowmobiles bought or acquired prior to Oct. 23, 2001;
  • ATVs owned and used by a federal, state or local government body;
  • ATVs owned by a dealer before and until sale;
  • ATVs owned by a nonresident;
  • ATVs owned by a Pennsylvania resident, but registered and used in another state

The fines for failure to register your ATV or abide by the rules can be costly.

  • Titling: $22.50
  • Registration: $20.00, for a two-year period
  • Limited Reg: Free
  • Replacement of lost or damaged registration certificate, limited registration certificate, registration decal, registration plate or expiration sticker: $5
  • Transfer of registration to a new machine by the same owner: $5
  • Dealer registration: $25
PLATES & DECALS ~~ An ATV owner will be issued a registration plate for the vehicle. An expiration sticker to be affixed to the plate will be issued for standard registrations.

How to register and title your ATV:
  1. If you purchase your vehicle at a registered dealer, you will be issued a registration plate with a temporary 45-day registration sticker. The dealer will handle your application for title and registration.
  2. If you purchase your ATV privately you will need to supply DCNR with:
    • Completed application for registration and titling
    • Proof of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
    • Fees
    • PA sales tax or proof that tax has been paid
    • Applications for registration and titling of ATVs and snowmobiles are available from the Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section, ATV and snowmobile dealers, forest district offices, and State Park offices.
    • Applications also are available at:

The registration and titling application form must be completed and sent to:

Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section
P.O. Box 8553, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8553

along with the registration and titling fees and sales tax statement.

LIABILITY INSURANCE ~~ If you are using your ATV solely on land owned or leased by you, you are not required to get liability insurance. All other riders must carry liability insurance. Proof of that insurance must be carried with you when you ride. There are no minimum requirements or coverage standards established by DCNR or the Snowmobile/ATV Law for the liability insurance.

"Starting out young!"

Changes of Address ~~ You must notify DCNR's Snowmobile/ATV Section in writing of any change of address within 15 days.

How to transfer title/ownership of your vehicle:
If you are transferring the title of your ATV to a new owner, complete the assignment on the back of the certificate of title and obtain notarization. The new owner must then apply for a new certificate of title and registration in his/her name. DO NOT REMOVE THE REGISTRATION DECAL OR PLATE FROM THE MACHINE.

Registration cannot be transferred from one owner to the next. If you no longer need registration because you have disposed of your vehicle in some way, complete the reverse side of your certificate of registration indicating the disposition status, listing buyer's name (if applicable), signing, dating and returning to DCNR within 15 days of disposition.

You may request the remaining months of your current registration be applied to a new registration of another vehicle that you have acquired. The fee for this transaction is $5.


OPERATION OF YOUR ATV ~~ Operation on streets and highways. ATVs may be operated only on streets and highways designated and posted as an ATV road by the government agency having jurisdiction over that road.

An ATV may make a direct crossing of a street or two-lane highway if:
  • The crossing is made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the highway and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing;
  • The ATV is brought to a complete stop before crossing the highway;
  • The driver yields the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard;
  • The crossing of a divided highway is made at an intersection of that highway with another street or highway.
  • ATVs may be operated on streets or highways during periods of emergency, if declared by the jurisdiction, or when necessary to cross a bridge or culvert

FAILURE to REGISTER YOUR ATV and ENFORCEMENT in Pennsylvania ~~ read before you act!

ATV Safety and Training

State Forest Management

Places to Ride. Also visit PA State Forests for a complete listing of ATV trails on State Forest lands.

For More Info for DCNR

image of atv riders All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Riding Information ~~ ATV ownership is at an all time high in the Commonwealth. The current ATV trail system has grown to 10 state forest trail systems. The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources provides a system of trails designated for use by all-terrain vehicles within Pennsylvania's State Forests.

Visit KID ATVS, LLC - Kid ATV - Jetmoto, Redcat, Kazuma, Unison kids, youth & adult sized cheap atvs & Chinese ATV Parts for sale online. Buy Now!

Club members ~~ please submit additional ATV tips for posting on the MDRA website to the club webmaster

Image of ATV riders

Club Contact:   masondixonriders
Club Webmaster:
Date page last updated:   Thurs. Aug. 18 22:37:55 2016
Copyright © 2000 [MDRA]. All rights reserved


Image of Suzuki ATV